Ile de Rien

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Sun Jun 8 11:10:05 EDT 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> Secondly, can anyone explain why reviews so regularly refer to Vienne
> as an alternative London in the Ile-de-Rien books by Martha Wells?
> (Rightly so, for all I know, despite the French names.)   And
> relatedly, has anyone read _The Wizard Hunters_ yet?  I'm having to
> ration book-purchases right now, but I do have a birthday coming up,
> and would love to know if this should go on top of my request list.

	Ditto on both requests... Do people really call Vienne an
alternate London? Has Wells said it is? I have only a short acquaintance
with Wells' books (though I'm in the process of reading further), but
London is one of the few ancient European cities that I don't find echoes
of in Vienne. Mostly I see Vienne as being part of some alternate-Italy,
maybe alternate northern Italy, though I'm not sure what exactly gives me
that impression, it's just the way I read it...

	Anna