Couple of questions...

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Jun 8 10:45:15 EDT 2003

> Finally, on-topic.  I was thinking about the magical and non-magical
> 'dark arts' type emotional manipulators in the books, and in the
> non-magical category, was thinking of Ivy and Seb.  Then I got to
> wondering why Seb didn't appear to be a magic user, while Mr. Leroy
> was - do people think Mr. Leroy had any magical ability of his own,
> or did he just get a loan of some of Laurel's while he was her
> consort/hubby?  In which case, Seb would get it when he took over
> that position?   I know he's awful, but I can't help feeling sorry
> for him about that, even if it won't kill him.

Well, that may not kill him, but Laurel's pool will presumably do the job
once Tom Lynn and Lesley are no longer around... :-)

The precise powers of the other members of Laurel's unseelie court are never
really defined, are they? I was struck at the beginning by the way that
other people at the funeral clearly resented the way the bequests seemed to
end up with Laurel, which implies that she isn't universally loved even by
her own people, and yet I can't help thinking (which is of course by no
means a contradiction) that in many ways their own status derives purely
from hers. Mr Leroy, as a 'permanent' consort, might be in a slightly
different position, but with him too I sometimes got the impression that he
resented being dependent on his wife for his own status (cf Prince Philip?).

A useful comparison might be the Dright in Series El(e)ven, where fairy
power really is vested in one single individual, and in a much more explicit
way.

Charlie