OT: What is literary truth?

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 19:26:17 EDT 2003

Robyn on Minnow on Robyn but actually talking about a phrase coined by
Philip:

> > >Are there differences in how you read extant texts and recent ones?
> >
> >I have never actually read a text that is not extant.
>
> So why did you make the distinction in the first place? It was your term,
> not mine.

Of course he can speak for himself, but I understood Philip to be
distinguishing simply between 'producers of texts' (ie. writers) and
interpreters of extant texts (ie readers). In which case 'extant' just
refers to the fact that the text exists prior to the reader's reading it,
but not prior to the writer's writing it.

Charlie