Merlin (with spoilers) Grundo, Coercion

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 6 14:07:34 EDT 2003

>It was only seeing the Izzys abusing the same power with what appeared to
>be far less excuse that he finally had to fish or cut bait. And he did,
>gradually. First he shut down the Izzys -- probably because it was so
>disturbing to have to watch their antics. It wasn't all that much longer
>bvefore Mrs Candace called him to account, and he offered no excuses or
>tried to defend the indefensible. Frankly I suspect he was a bit relieved
>over it.

This is a really interesting observation. I think it is totally right, and
it made me think about the similarities between Howl and Grundo. Howl has
to be forced to do the right thing, too, but one gets the impression that
he is often relieved when he is pushed into behaving in a non
self-interested manner.

Robyn