Judging (was Re: Merlin (with spoilers) Grundo, Coercion)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Jun 5 05:54:21 EDT 2003

Charlie wrote in a bewildered way:

>This judging people by their clothes is a tricky one (so much like judging
>books by their covers - and we all know that's a no-no, don't we? Even
>though covers are designed to make us do just that).
>I wonder if things have changed over the years? Once upon a time clothes
>were chosen less for personal preference than in accordance with societal
>norms about one's status and what was considered appropriate to a particular
>occasion. Nowadays they seem to be claimed as an expression of individual
>taste, mood and personality. And yet it's now (when when such a judgement
>might seem to be most invited) that we are warned against judging people by
>the clothes they choose. Why? I ask in true perplexity as one who has never
>really understood fashion at all. I suppose the statements people use
>clothes to make might be false ones - but then if they tell sartorial lies
>they can hardly complain if they're believed, any more than if they tell
>verbal ones.

I think what goes on here is that we are not supposed to make judgements
full stop.

Same as 'showing some discrimination' used to be a good thing, and
'discrimination' is now the most reprehensible of crimes; so judging
someone on any criterion whatever, and relative to any thing whatever, is
frowned upon.

Are you not familiar with the work of Dr Heinz Kiosk?

tsk tsk tsk.

Minnow