Leathery-Winged Avians (was Re: Derk makes me uneasy)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Jun 5 05:54:23 EDT 2003

Philip replied to my doubts:

>FWIW the Leathery-Winged Avians were a feature of the Chesney tours in
>DLoD, but
>not a feature of the world.  They were represented by magically-driven
>automata,
>which Barnabas disabled in an attempt to mess up the tours, so Blade got the
>geese to do the job instead.  Which they did, until they got bored with it.

Thank you.  I knew that the creaking sound made by the wings of *swans* was
suggested by DWJ at one point as being the origin of the LWAs in
FantasyLand -- someone in the bar at a convention had been saying that it
was unreasonable the way evolution in FL had allowed the pterodactyl to
survive when all the other dinosaur types had vanished, and she was looking
for something a bit more reasonable to replace pterodactyls with.  As it
were.  And the geese have a -- what's the proper word?  Goscine? -- sense
of humour, of course.  They would.

Minnow