Merlin (with spoilers) Grundo, Coercion

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 13:47:41 EDT 2003

Jodel quoted

<Jodel
    <Yeah, there is something nastily coercive
about

that, isn't there?
And I say that as someone who *did* warm to
Grundo, I found him very
charming. But what he did was deeply
unscrupulous>

then said

<Actually I did not say that. I noticed my name
cropping up with a lot of misaplied quotes last
Digest and I feel like I ought to apologize for
the way that my current version of AOL is
scrambling the posts that I *do* make.>

I think the missapplied attributions were my
fault..... I'm currently having to use the local
library computers so I'm working in haste, to say
nothing of the fact that last session when I
walked round the shelves to ease my back ache a
jobsworth librarian came and shut down the comp,
losing my draft mails, so I had to rewrite even
more hastily. (The previous statement is in no
way to be considered to imply any criticism of
librarians in general!).

Jodel

<Yes, Grundo was completely unscrupulous in
latching onto Roddy and keeping her to himself.
But how scrupulous to you expect a 3-year-old to
be? It would have taken some years before he
realized that what he was doing was something
people disaproved of and even longer before he
realized that he was not justified in doing it
because of his situation. From some of his other
behavior through the book, he truly *likes*
Roddy, and I suspect that he has probably not
felt all that good about himself over it for the
past couple of years, but not known how to stop
it without losing her.

It was only seeing the Izzys abusing the same
power with what appeared to be far less excuse
that he finally had to fish or cut bait. And he
did, gradually. First he shut down the Izzys --
probably because it was so disturbing to have to
watch their antics. It wasn't all that much
longer bvefore Mrs Candace called him to account,
and he offered no excuses or tried to defend the
indefensible. Frankly I suspect he was a bit
relieved over it. >

I would just like to clarify my attitude to
Grundo, although I called his behaviour
reprehensible my reaction to this character isn't
based on moral grounds,  I just didn't take to
him.

<I also suspect that if there is a third book in
the Magid series, and we have a pattern going,
the next will be told from Grundo's PoV>

Possibly, but I was wondering if, like Hildy eg,
he would be more unpleasant in a future book.

=====
Ven