DWJones mystery book

Chris Dollin eh at electric-hedgehog.net
Wed Jul 30 17:05:12 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 30 Jul 2003 9:51 pm, Elizabeth Crowe wrote:
> Hi,

> 1.  I seem to remember reading a DWJ book about a boy who is at some kind
> of a conference with his dad and suddenly is transported to a different
> world.  He is mistaken for a spy and escapes into the woods where I
> believe he sees a tiger(?) or some kind of animal.  He travels along a
> road and an old man gives him a flickering flame.  An elephant seems to
> be part of this story, too.  Somewhere in the story he goes to a city
> where all the wealthy people are wearing highly embroidered clothing that
> is made by poor people endangered by radiation.  He manages to escape
> from that place after making enemies there, and comes to a place (I seem
> to remember some world hopping going on) where he finds a man (a
> Chrestomanci type figure) living in the wilderness.  The enemies come and
> are defeated.  A helicopter is in there somewhere.  Does this sound
> familiar to anyone?

_The Merlin Conspiracy_

> 2.  Do you know what Diana means when she refers to her work as
> speculative fiction?

She means it's speculative fiction.

> 3.  How does that differ from traditional fantasy?

It's not as restricted in time, space, or subject matter. Speculative fiction
is the uber-genre that covers science fiction, popular fantasy, magical
realism, and includes the works of Prachett, Borges, Heinlein, McKillip,
Brust, Bujold, Anderson (Poul), Zelazny, Cooper (Susan and Edmond and
Louise), Dickson, Moon, Bear, Beagle, Smith (E E Doc), Tepper, Macavoy,
Wynne-Jones, etc and so forth.

--
Chris the Hedgehog