DWJones mystery book

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 30 22:43:48 EDT 2003

> >2.  Do you know what Diana means when she refers to her work as
> >speculative fiction?
>
>Speculative fiction is a general catchall term for science fiction and
>fantasy together.  Whether DWJ means that or something else, I don't know.
>It also sometimes carries a more literary connotation, indicating that
>you're taking the genre seriously.

I think speculative fiction also includes some genres/texts not strictly in
the sf or fantasy categories, like historical fiction, or alternate history
stories, and sometimes horror (if that's a separate genre) as well. I think
the reason for the academic uptake of the term is that is broader (ie
includes all of the above). At the institutions that teach it here in
Calgary, it means that instructors have more freedom to structure courses
than if they were called more specific names. It means you can include a
wider range of texts. Plus it probably discourages some of the students who
think the course will be an easy option where they get to read Star Trek
novelisations.

Robyn