Wilkins' Tooth (was Re: Introductions)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 30 01:06:36 EDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> Sometimes I'd really really like to know what's going on in the
> author/creator's head--what motivates the throwaway references.
> In my boy's Pokemon video there are two villains named Jesse and
> James.  When I explained why this was ha-ha funny the kids told me
> that later episodes have a Butch and a Cassidy as well.  This does
> strike me as unnecessary sophistication--but I don't like Pokemon
> at all, so I'm probably just too old.

In a boy's-own-space-opera anthology I read as a lad, there was a
story containing a scene where the villain picks out two of his
henchmen to do a job for him: "Harlan, Ellison, I want you to..."

I don't know what motivated the author of that story, or the writer of
the Pokemon thing, but when I do that sort of thing[1] considerations
about the intended audience of the story don't come into it - I'm
doing it for my own amusement, and I don't care whether the audience
even notices. (Except in my more lucid moments, when I hope they
don't.)

----
[1] Rather more often than is healthy, and I'm trying to cut down.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."