extremely belated Super Summer Annual Intros!

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 15:36:28 EDT 2003

Minnow

> >Do you also have "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue?" - originally a spin-off
from
> >"I'm Sorry I'll Read that Again", but much longer lasting (still going
after
> >30 odd years) and, frankly, funnier?
>
> (Anyone for a quick game of Mornington Crescent?)
>
> I agree that it was/is on the whole funnier, though I still miss Willie
> Rushton.... Was it really a spin-off?  It seems to be different enough for
> me to think it was originally a piss-take.  As it were.

I think it was a spin-off in the sense that some of the cast were the same
(Tim Brooke-Taylor and Graeme Garden, for example) - and it certainly seemed
to play on the name. It was intended as a piss-take too, but more of other
radio panel games than of its sister-programme.

Almost inevitably (the BBC is really good at this kind of thing) there is a
site devoted to it, replete with clips. Anyone who's curious should try::

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clue/clips/
and
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clue/new_clips/

For ISIHAC ingenus, I should explain that Mornington Crescent is a mythical
game of incredible complexity (combining elements of Monopoly, chess and
bridge, as far as I can tell), which the players and audience all pretend to
take very seriously; and Samantha is an equally-mythical scorer in the
classic 'bimbo' mould.

Charlie