Elfsorrow

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 28 05:58:35 EDT 2003

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Charles Butler wrote:

> Just saw a newspaper add for James Barclay's Elfsorrow, for which
> the strapline was: 'No Rings. No Hobbits. No Happy Endings.
> Fantasy Just Got Real.'
>
> I can quite see that they're trying to gain readers on the back of
> the LotR films - but am I alone in finding this kind of
> insulting/ignorant, considering everything that's been done in
> fantasy in the last 50 years?

No, you're not. I'm right behind you - albeit in a vague and
meandering sort of way at the moment, because my capacity to be
outraged about this sort of thing is currently exhausted by the media
coverage of Margaret Atwood's latest novel.

Come to think of it, "...No Happy Endings. Fantasy Just Got Real" is a
bit of a slap in the face for Tolkien, never mind the people who came
after him. He was actually pretty good at the old nuances, was
Tolkien, and LotR may have had a happy ending, but it definitely
didn't have a Happy Ending.

And what kind of stupid slogan is "Fantasy Just Got Real", anyway?

(I think my capacity to be outraged is on the mend...)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."