Spellcoats ending (spoiler)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 28 02:58:41 EDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> I think it's one of those devices designed to show the reader that
> s/he is privy to secrets that baffle the wisest and most learned
> of the rest of the world.

> It's a bit like showing the newspaper headlines or accounts about
> events that have happened in a book, in non-magical/non-fantasy
> stories, and we the readers know how hopelessly the paper has
> misunderstood the events it is recounting.

I'm not sure that works in the case of 'The Spellcoats', since the
point of the afterword is that what we've just read *is* the scholar's
interpretation of the coats - so if there's something the scholars
don't know, we don't know it either.

So 'The Spellcoats' is more in the tradition of stories where the
reader only gets an unreliable account of what occurred, with or
without guidance about which bits are actually true. And I'm sure
there's a classic example of *that*, but it's not coming to mind...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."