dalemark and linear thought.

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Jul 25 16:39:30 EDT 2003

Robyn pointed out in reply to one item in Charlie's list:

>>e) Stories in which things being told in the 'wrong' order carries an
>>implication about the nature of narrative and narration, the relationship of
>>the storyteller to the fictional world (can't think of an classic example
>>offhand, but I can imagine it...)
>
>Baudolino by Eco almost does this. One of the main themes of the book is
>the nature of narrative and narration, and the narrator keeps breaking into
>his story (which is told in what we assume is the right order) to remind
>the reader of what a liar he is.

The action of *Tristram Shandy* happens in a somewhat non-linear way[1] and
has an authorial (well, Shandean) voice pointing things out about the
narrative at intervals, to the effect that it may or may not be relevant or
even accurate... would that count as an example of what you're after?

[1] this has been entered for the "understatement of the year" award.

Minnow