Rowling's gift

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 12:03:19 EDT 2003

<< I did get Harry Potter 5, and am enjoying the story. As always, when I
start reading a Harry Potter story, I remember why I don't re-read them often.
The story is great, but the language is not initially inspiring. >>

No the language is not inspiring. It is *accessible*.

I've been contending for the past four years that Rowling seems to have
fallen heir to the Agatha Christie crown. Language so clear and so basic that
everyone can follow it, characters so simple and clearly delineated that no one
gets them confused with one another and plots satisfyingly complex with a
possibility of a real twist at the end.

I would deffinitely read a murder mystery from her if she decided to move on
to those. (Well she *does* say that when she finishes Potter she wants to move
on to other projects.)

As to Book 5; I suspect that once the series is complete this one isn't going
to be anybody's favorite. She had a lot of new ground to cover and the
Hogwarts end of things was clearly not the major issue for the Wizarding world in
general. It's the first time that we've been effectively shunted off to the
sidelines and feels vaguely wrong-footed. It's also the book where everybody on
Dumbledore's side manages to screw up, and it costs them. It's a point in this
kind of story that always has to happen, but nobody has to like it.