Spellcoats ending (spoiler)

Joe Joe.Nankivell at ucd.ie
Fri Jul 25 05:58:00 EDT 2003

On 25 Jul 2003, at 6:14, Charles Butler wrote:

> I recently finished the Spellcoats - a very good yarn -
<groan>
 > I couldn't help but be reminded of the Historical Notes at the ending of
> Atwood's 'The Handmaid's Tale', with its scholarly symposium. Except that
> Spellcoats came first, of course! But then it occurred to me that maybe this
> is a well-worn device, used all over the place by many writers I just
> haven't come across. So - can anyone think of any other examples? And any
> earlier than DWJ's?

Atwood said somewhere that hers is homage to Orwell's notes on
Newspeak which come at the end of 1984. Both are supposed to
imply hope & 'happy endings' in scenarios which otherwise seem
so desparate. In Orwell's case, the notes are written in standard
English and the past tense; and in the postscript Handmaid's Tale I
think Atwood does a good job of sending up that academic
cosiness which is the natural product of nicely balanced &
complacent societies...

But they're writers, so surely they're both nicking the idea from
someone else.

Joe