Spellcoats ending (spoiler)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 01:14:45 EDT 2003

I recently finished the Spellcoats - a very good yarn - and was struck by
the ending, which (as you will recall if you've read it) is written by the
curator of a future Dalemark museum in which the coats are displayed, and is
full of scholarly guesses as to their significance, historical veracity, the
identities of the people mentioned, etc.

I couldn't help but be reminded of the Historical Notes at the ending of
Atwood's 'The Handmaid's Tale', with its scholarly symposium. Except that
Spellcoats came first, of course! But then it occurred to me that maybe this
is a well-worn device, used all over the place by many writers I just
haven't come across. So - can anyone think of any other examples? And any
earlier than DWJ's?

Charlie