no television

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 23 15:39:29 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 21:22, Robyn Starkey wrote:

> Speaking as someone who teaches people how to read and write, I would
> offer a more pedagogical and less cynical view of a curriculum which
> requires television and/or movies. That is, in an effort to make
> students media literate, it is nice to teach them how to read texts
> other than books. For the majority of students, who *do* watch at
> least some television, it can be a very valuable exercise to get them
> to analyse programs that they watch, to think about them critically.
> I always make my composition students do some work in watching and
> reading advertisements, to try to decode what the kinds of
> manipulations that advertisers use. I would argue that this kind of
> instruction is also important for students who don't regularly watch
> tv, because they may not be used to analysing in this particular
> mode, even if they are good critical readers of *books*.

Good theory, but not the case here; my best friend is a teacher at that
school and she's been in on the policy discussions. If only it was that
way. The students don't analyse programs; they have to watch, say, 2
hours of non-subtitled English programmes for English comprehension.
When I was in high school, we got two hours of non-subtitled English
film and documentary as well, but that was in English class, not set as
homework.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 11-May-2003