gnod writer's map

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 23 15:33:07 EDT 2003

>Off to play with this site some more........ once
>I've given the url
>
>:http://www.gnooks.com/

I found that if you put in less popular authors you get some pretty bizarre
recommendations. For example, anyone literary comes up as being similar to
Kafka, which I think suggests a slight skewing of the lists of authors.

Lois McMaster Bujold came up as similar to a bunch of people I had never
heard of, who seem to be male thriller authors. Georgette Heyer came up as
similar (presumably because of the attribution in A Civil Campaign), but
not Charlotte Bronte, Dorothy Sayers or Jane Austen, who are all just as
similar to Bujold as Heyer. Georgette Heyer herself is similar to
Shakespeare. Shakespeare is, apparently, not at all similar to William
Shakespeare.

The most amusing one was Geoffrey Chaucer, who apparently has a lot in
common with Chaim Potok. Oh, and Douglas Adams.

Robyn