no television

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 23 15:22:29 EDT 2003

>We may have to get a telly again in a few years when the eldest goes to
>high school, because the current Dutch high-school curriculum includes
>*required* viewing. The theory behind that is probably "if you can't
>make them do what's required, require what they're doing anyway" - for
>values of "they" that don't necessarily include everybody.

Speaking as someone who teaches people how to read and write, I would offer
a more pedagogical and less cynical view of a curriculum which requires
television and/or movies. That is, in an effort to make students media
literate, it is nice to teach them how to read texts other than books. For
the majority of students, who *do* watch at least some television, it can
be a very valuable exercise to get them to analyse programs that they
watch, to think about them critically. I always make my composition
students do some work in watching and reading advertisements, to try to
decode what the kinds of manipulations that advertisers use. I would argue
that this kind of instruction is also important for students who don't
regularly watch tv, because they may not be used to analysing in this
particular mode, even if they are good critical readers of *books*.

Robyn