Potter sequels? (was Re: Byatt on Potter)

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 23 07:15:25 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 09 July 2003 13:38, Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk wrote:
> Minnow:
> > and without reference to a television interview in which JKR is
> > rumoured to have hinted to that effect, because she didn't know
> > about the TV thing (we don't have the fishtank, and she wasn't
> > aware it was happening).  That
>
> You have kids and no telly?  I'm impressed!
>
> I have no telly, but I think that if I ever do have kids I shall get
> one (a telly, I mean).  After doing some sort of survey of what
> programmes out there actually do have educational value, of course...

We briefly had a telly because of the kids, because we were afraid
they'd be ostracized at school for not knowing the popular things. As
it was, nobody ever watched the thing except at Historic Events (like
9/11, or the Dutch cabinet disbanding, or the arrival of Sinterklaas,
or the royal wedding) and when it broke down last year we didn't
replace it. And the kids don't make friends with kids who think TV is
important; meaning that the friends they have are the right sort.

We may have to get a telly again in a few years when the eldest goes to
high school, because the current Dutch high-school curriculum includes
*required* viewing. The theory behind that is probably "if you can't
make them do what's required, require what they're doing anyway" - for
values of "they" that don't necessarily include everybody.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 11-May-2003