gnod writer's map

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 21:18:25 EDT 2003

I came across this site today. The idea of the
writer's map is to show the connections betweeen
writers in an you may also like kind of way. It's
apparently in collaboration with Amazon, so I
presume that's where they get their data.

Input Diana Wynne Jones and her name appears,
bobbing up and down in a thick wodge of other
names, familiar, Pratchett Rowling and
unfamiliar, Francine Pascal anyone? After a while
the names begin to separate. The distanxce
between them represents the strength of the
connection. It seems to come up different each
time but the first time I tried it Dwj ended up
in the middle, persistently nudged  by Tamora
Pierce, Patricia Wrede ansd AA Milne while an odd
little group of Rowling, Robin Hobb and Pullman
jostled together at the top and a trail of sf
authors from Asimov to Stephenson bore JRR
Tolkien off to one side. I was interested to see
a number of authors discussed here including AS
Byatt.

Off to play with this site some more........ once
I've given the url

:http://www.gnooks.com/

=====
Ven