Elfsorrow

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Jul 20 08:23:00 EDT 2003

Charlie wrote:

>Just saw a newspaper add for James Barclay's Elfsorrow, for which the
>strapline was: 'No Rings. No Hobbits. No Happy Endings. Fantasy Just Got
>Real.'

Are *elves* (moping a bit) somehow not FantasyLand cliched?  Since when?

Query, does the book contain dwarves?

>I can quite see that they're trying to gain readers on the back of the
>LotR films - but am I alone in finding this kind of insulting/ignorant,
>considering everything that's been done in fantasy in the last 50 years?
>As if a new play were to be advertised with a banner reading 'At last! A
>play that isn't written in blank verse!'

It's been going on for almost my entire adult life, being as how Tolkien
came out before I was born and got popular in the mid to late sixties, and
it somehow lacks the power to shock me any longer.  I don't expect
publishers' marketing departments not to be appalling

>Maybe I just got out of bed on the wrong side...

Were you woken up by the noise in Ashton Court?

>In mild disgust nevertheless -

Speaking of which --
You have managed not to send yet another picture of an orange envelope as
an attachment, so you are winning to a certain extent, but.your attempt to
disinfect your posts of the HTML you got when you replied to an
"IncrediMail 2001" post of the

didn't work, and I got what follows.  The question I want to ask is, does
my not erasing it mean that everyone using HTML will now get the same
clog-the-machine effect I suffer when things are sent in HTML, a
double-aand-more length repetition of the same thing plus useless commands,
or do those who use HTML get pretty colours or something when I send it
back?

I get faintly disgusted by the way some of these mailers compel their users
to top-post in HTML and send a completely useless attachment to everyone on
the list, but I think their apparently forcing others to do the same (I
know you didn't mean to) is even more depressing...

Minnow

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Just saw a newspaper add for James Barclay's
<EM>Elfsorrow</EM>, for which the strapline was: 'No Rings. No Hobbits. No
Happy
Endings. Fantasy Just Got Real.' </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I can quite&nbsp;see that they're trying to gain
readers on the back of the LotR films&nbsp;- but am I alone in finding this
kind
of insulting/ignorant, considering everything that's been done in fantasy
in the
last 50 years? As if a new play were to be advertised with a banner reading 'At
last! A play that<EM> isn't</EM> written in
blank&nbsp;verse!'<EM>&nbsp;</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Maybe I just got out of bed on the wrong
side...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>In mild disgust nevertheless&nbsp;-</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Charlie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>"Run mad as often as you chuse, but do not
faint!"</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>