Elfsorrow

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 04:57:23 EDT 2003

Just saw a newspaper add for James Barclay's Elfsorrow, for which the strapline was: 'No Rings. No Hobbits. No Happy Endings. Fantasy Just Got Real.'

I can quite see that they're trying to gain readers on the back of the LotR films - but am I alone in finding this kind of insulting/ignorant, considering everything that's been done in fantasy in the last 50 years? As if a new play were to be advertised with a banner reading 'At last! A play that isn't written in blank verse!'

Maybe I just got out of bed on the wrong side...

In mild disgust nevertheless -

Charlie

"Run mad as often as you chuse, but do not faint!"