Miles and Hamlet - No major spoilers (was Re: More on Martha Wells)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jul 18 18:03:35 EDT 2003

Ven:

>I intended to add:
>
>SPOILER WARNING MEMORY AND VORKOSIGAN SERIES PRE
>MEMORY  And now also spoiler for  A Civil Campaign.

>So if Miles is Hamlet then who is Ophelia? If
>Quinn, then I suppose her dismissal is could be
>couched as "Get thee to an Admiralty"! Far
>preferable I should think.

Remember, 'loose', there doesn't *have* to be an Ophelia exactly.
:-)  But, yes, I was also thinking of Quinn when I thought of the way
who Miles was, or rather who he was born (it's potentially a big
distinction in his case!) messed up his possible future with someone
he loved.  And court politics very nearly sabotaged his relationship
with Ekaterin as well.  Though - I think you're being a bit hard on
him, Ven!  Surely he didn't say 'get thee to an Admiralty' - as much
as she said 'no bl**din way I'm going to be Mrs Vor Countess-to-be!'

Hallie.