Genre prejudice

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jul 18 18:02:49 EDT 2003

Robyn:

>Yes, sorry, I meant that a lot of Atwood's work did fit Wolverton's
>definition (no doubt this is the source of the praise from the New
>Yorker). The speculative works are perhaps less likely to do so, but
>I was thinking specifically of The Blind Assassin and some of the
>short stories when I made the comment. I haven't yet read the newest
>one, which is supposedly another speculative book.

Ok, thanks.  It was the newest one, Orxy and Crake, that I read, and
it is speculative, which is why I was surprised.  It was very
impressive, though I was a bit reluctant beforehand, not having a
high tolerance for bleak or grim.  Not so sure 'enjoyed' is the right
term, but  neither is Ven's slogging up a sodding great mountain
analogy.  Maybe a slightly too-spicy for comfort but really
nutritious and tasty meal?

Hallie.