Skinhead Hamlet

Charles Butler hannibal at
Fri Jul 18 09:39:43 EDT 2003

>When I did a linguistics course at uni my lecturer proudly produced a map
in which Britain was bissected by a line (I have a feeling it is called a
'glossobar' or something similar) which he called the Bugger-Bugger line
(the two vowels being prounounced differently as per the distinction above),
to show the boundary between the two different pronunciations of this vowel.
It ran approximately from the Severn to the Wash.

The word is not glossobar but isogloss, of course - I was getting mixed up
with isobars (which are to barometric pressure what isoglosses are to
pronunciation). And hey - I've even found a map showing the bugger/bugger


To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at

More information about the Dwj mailing list