Genre prejudice

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Fri Jul 18 04:55:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:57:22PM +0100, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>"What Then?" isn't a chronological thing, as far as I could make out (maybe
>that would be called "What Next?" fiction, and would apply to the book that
>is obviously part of a series that will go on...)  I suppose it might be
>better if it were  "What, Then?" or something.  It means "what follows from
>that?" in the sense "what's the next logical step?" rather than the sense
>"what's going to happen on the day after the one they all live happily
>ever..."

OK, I think I get the idea. Thank you. So a purely What-Then would leave
everything open to discussion (which some of the inconclusive
"mainstream" stuff certainly does), and the best bet for an interesting
book might well be a combination of both that _and_ What-If (because I,
at least, want _some_ resolution to what's going on or it isn't a
story).

Roger