: Re: Miles and Hamlet - No major spoilers (was Re: More on Martha Wells)

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 21:20:47 EDT 2003

I wrote in response to Hallie

<I had decided you must
>mean Memory for a different reason. I was
>thinking of Simon Illyan as representing the
>"dead" father (he is sort of around as his own
>ghost) and thus Spoiler as a combination of
>Gertrude and Claudius.>

and a lot more besides

Hallie replied

:-)  I don't know why this way of using Spoiler
seems so funny to me.>

Well I kinda meant it to be......

<It's all the same Spoiler throughout your post,
right?  Otherwise
I've got this seriously muddled.>

Yes.

<Aren't expandable 'theories' (and I
use the word in its loosest possible sense!)
wonderful ?  You came up
with all sorts of things which hadn't crossed my
mind (and I use that
word in its loosest possible sense also.)  :-)
Happily Ivan's
mother had a better sense of timing than
Gertrude, as I really don't
think I could have stood Ivan's going off the
emotional deep edge as
well as Miles in one book!>

I find that once I start finding these kind of
connections its hard to stop. Very much a
question of what I am reading into the text of
course but I predict that LMB does know Hamlet at
least as well as I do whether she intended or
even noticed any connection!

>I'm straining my knowledge of Hamlet, but I seem
>to remember a late scene between Gertrude and
>Hamlet where she is trying to get him to accept
>the status quo and behaving in a kind of
>seductive manner (but this may have been the
>actors' reading of the scene) which reminds me
of
>when Spoiler tempts Miles.

I think it was likely the actors or director who
went for that
reading, and would say fair enough, unless it was

the <censors own
language firmly> Zeffirelli film version, in
which case I just have
to restrain myself or all sorts of unacceptable
opinions (starting
with 'Bad!') will fall out.  In that one, in the
'closet scene'
Gertrude grabs Hamlet and initiates a passionate
kiss, which does at
least have the merit of explaining Hamlet's
terror when his father's
ghost appears!  But I find the Freudian
explanation of the play
fairly boring anyway, so am not greatly taken
with adding in
Gertrude's returning the feeling (would that be a

Jocastal complex?).>

I have a feeling that I'm conflating a fairly
recent TV production with an OU programme
analysing and workshopping various scenes. It
wasn't Zefferelli at any rate but somebody aware
of his reading must have come into it.

=====
Ven