Genre prejudice

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Jul 16 12:51:27 EDT 2003

Helen Schinske wrote:

>In a message dated 7/16/03 12:35:30 AM Central Daylight Time, Minnow writes:
>
>> Maybe they simply *can't* start at the beginning, go on through the middle
>> in the right order, get to the end and then stop?
>> And maybe that would be why they enjoy books that don't either?
>Oh, go on. :-) What about _Hexwood_? Huh? Huh?

Well hey, maybe they would enjoy *Hexwood* if they could just be persuaded
that it is their sort of book?

Speaking of which, I was talking with a lady in her early twenties in the
pub this lunchtime, and we got onto the subject of my wanting to know why
people read books they don't enjoy (I won't tell you what the book she was
reading when I arrived was!).  She cheerfully said that she ploughs through
the Serious Literary Work every so often because (this is a dilly of a
reason) if she is able to demonstrate in-depth familiarity with the latest
Respectable Book, she can then do little comparisons with things in DWJ,
and thereby draw DWJ forward as having claims to Respectability.  She's
turned two or three people's attention to DWJ that way, apparently.

Now *that* is what I call a Really Devoted Fan.  A and B the C of D, as far
as I am concerned.

Minnow