Genre prejudice

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Jul 16 11:38:08 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:28:40AM -0400, HSchinske at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 7/16/03 12:35:30 AM Central Daylight Time, Minnow writes:
>> Maybe they simply *can't* start at the beginning, go on through the middle
>> in the right order, get to the end and then stop?
>> And maybe that would be why they enjoy books that don't either?
>Oh, go on. :-) What about _Hexwood_? Huh? Huh?

I think one could reasonably make a case that _Hexwood_'s story _is_
told in order. We go from "characters know nothing", though "characters
learn about their situation and what they're trying to do", to
"characters triumph over adversity". The fact that this is not strictly
mapped to linear time - because, in effect, some of the characters have
undergone the journey twice -  is not as important as the narrative
flow.

Roger