Authorial Intent

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 09:13:12 EDT 2003

Minnow:

> >>Mostly it contents itself with noting similarities, but once or
> >>twice seems to go a bit further. DWJ - not just her text - is said to
'draw
> >>on... the psychological thriller, as exemplified by TofS'.
>
> That doesn't necessarily say she drew on TotS, it says she drew on the
type
> of thriller of which TotS is an example.

You may be right: it depends how one reads that last clause (or what one
reads into it...). I read the phrase as meaning something more like: 'DWJ
drew on the psychological thriller, and chose TotS as a quintessential
example of it'. But your interpretation makes sense, and should probably be
preferred as the more charitable.

Charlie