Genre prejudice

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 18:55:20 EDT 2003

Melissa wrote:

(a lot that I am thinking about and will try to work out what it makes me
feel, but one thing sprang off the end and I have to say this right now):

>I am still looking for a fan of literary fiction who can explain to me what
>they see in it.  In some ways they are a remarkably inarticulate bunch.

Maybe they simply *can't* start at the beginning, go on through the middle
in the right order, get to the end and then stop?

And maybe that would be why they enjoy books that don't either?

(This is a wicked and an unkind and a generally rude thing to say, and I
apologise in advance to the hordes of literary fiction fans who will now
arise up and slay me, but honest, it does seem an irresistable conclusion
to draw!)

Minnow