Miles and Hamlet - No major spoilers

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 15 13:28:03 EDT 2003

I have been following the Miles as Hamlet discussion with interest.
Coincidentally, I just reread "Brothers in Arms" and I have to say, that
Miles as Richard III is also a compelling comparison. In BiA, Miles
compares himself to Richard (possibly a little obvious), but he also
recites the whole play, which he once memorised. I hadn't really noticed
this before, and I thought it was interesting to think about why Richard
III is a play Miles would be so interested in.

There are some interesting parallels, besides the obvious physical one.
Their social positions are similar, their competencies are similar, and
then in Komarr, their love lives become similar.

Robyn