Genre prejudice

Tue Jul 15 10:57:59 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:45:12 +0100, Charles Butler wrote:

>Melissa
>
> What literary
>> >novelists fail to recognize is that theirs is a genre just like all the
>> >others.  Many of them (and many critics) perceive such books as "true"
>> >literature and everything else as "genre."
>>

>There's an interesting article by Dave Wolverton on this subject, here:
>http://www.sff.net/people/torhyth/tangent/others/art03.htm

Thanks for sharing that link, Charlie.  I posted this article to the list a
couple of years ago (with permission) because it helped give shape to some
nebulous concerns I had as a student of English lit, long ago.  I
particularly like the term "Manhattan Angst"--I have a book of short fiction
upstairs that is full of stories that prove the definition correct.  And one
by Ray Carver, who is another exception to the rule.

Melissa Proffitt