Wind in the Willows

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Jul 13 12:05:44 EDT 2003

Minnow:
> I think your point is good, though perhaps not the point you meant to
make.
> WitW and VF set out to entertain, I think, whereas ideologically-based
> texts set out to instruct (like, they hold your face down in a pot of
> message and force-feed you till you're sick of it) and are a chore rather
> than a pleasure.

Well, I don't think WitW is an 'ideologically-based book' in that sense
either. It's not in the same category as, say, Animal Farm or Aesop's
Fables - and though unlike you I don't decry the whole genre, I agree that
works of this instructive kind tend to choredom, except in cases of Rare
Genius. I have been using 'ideology' in the sense of  "a manner or the
content of thinking characteristic of an individual, group, or culture" (I
lazily quote from a dictionary) rather than in the narrower sense that would
turn WitW into a Lehrstuck.

> >Though I can just see him saying: 'Mary, that church clock has been
standing
> >at ten to three for an awfully long time now - let's pay to get it
fixed!'

> Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhh!!!!  Wash your ears out with soap
and
> water!

Would you believe I was lip-reading? :-)

Charlie