Fwd: Re: Byatt on Potter

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 09:32:06 EDT 2003

> There are others.  I mean, I *think* Toni Morrison is literature

The Nobel Prize would certainly imply so! And for my part I think Beloved is
one of the best books by a contemporary author that I've read (though -
please note! - it was a while ago and I don't have time or energy right now
to defend that statement at length....).

But 'Modern' is certainly a term that demands definition, where it's not
obvious from context. To historians, for example, Shakespeare lived in the
Early Modern period, and is thus a 'modern' writer. And in the querelle of
ancients and moderns, as fought in the 17th/18thC, pretty much anyone from
Thomas Aquinas on qualified. That's even without bringing in modernism as an
early 20thC literary/artistic movement, let alone the 'lay' meaning.

Charlie