More on Martha Wells

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Thu Jul 10 13:44:26 EDT 2003

> > *
>
> That's enough, isn't it?
>
> My hesitation was that she'd created these very sympathetic
> characters, exciting story, wonderful setting, and then "only" seemed
> to take them towards Revenge.  Wasn't there some comment about
> Nicholas even realising that revenge was bitter - but still seeming
> happy enough with it?   I also loved the book, but don't really find
> the quest for revenge as satisfying as other themes.

Acutally, I had to take a second go to finish it. It somtimes happens that I
got to much to to to continue reading a book unless I'm really sucked in -
an it took a second try with Necromancer - maybe because I wasn't so grabbed
by the main theme. (But the second time I couldn't stop - and I still find
some of Nicholas' tricks irresistable - like telling his guard in the palace
he's Falliers bastard (or something like that)) Doesn't Ronsarde or Dr.
Whatshisname confront Nicholas with his "goal" and doesn't Nicholas get somewhat
uncomfortable? I'd have liked this conflict pondered on a bit more...

Bettina