Byatt on Potter

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 17:18:29 EDT 2003

For anyone who's interested, there have been lengthy discussions of both the
Byatt and Bronski articles at the child_lit list over the last week or two:

http://email.rutgers.edu/archives/child_lit.html

In the former case this includes a contribution from one P. Pullman (of
Oxford, UK) in which he admits:

"Perhaps (after seven years) the time has come for me to reveal that the
author of the book I
referred to in my Carnegie Medal speech, the one that had three separate
openings, was none other than A.S.Byatt. She is a novelist who can write
and has written superb things, but who (in my judgement) is hampered and
hamstrung by her own constant, awkward and visible self-consciousness."

Today there was also a reference to an interesting rebuttal of Byatt by
Charles Taylor:

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2003/07/08/byatt_rowling/index.html

Charlie