Byatt on Potter

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Wed Jul 9 04:59:44 EDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Ven wrote:

> Later in the article  Byatt praises Pratchett to
> the skies. He is a writer who improved in quantum
> leaps, I think Rowling may be another.

	Yeah, I'd agree with you there. I think she obviously learned a
lot writing Goblet of Fire (huge and ungainly) because I can see plenty of
progress in Order of the Phoenix (huge and coherent). OotP is gigantic but
I felt all of that bulk was actually doing something whereas much as I
enjoyed GoF I did keep getting the feeling that the book was being paused
every now and then for another set-piece to be inserted. It was cheering
to see the improvement in her craft because it was sad to see Azkaban
followed by a less well structured book...

	BTW, there's a response to Byatt here, at salon.com

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2003/07/08/byatt_rowling/index.html

	Byatt's article just made me feel tired. I am not surprised that
she wrote: "Sadly, being taught literature often destroys the life of the
books" if that's the approach she takes!

	Anna