Spontaneous overflow of powerful feeling

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Jul 6 19:39:08 EDT 2003

> Whilst not having the faintest idea what this has to do with Kipling's
> politics or rehabilitation regarding those, I'd say they *were* planning to
> eat the rabbits.

Certainly plausible. But the practice of 'potting' at rabbits and other
things that moved (remember, they held duels and shot at each other) was
an established part of the culture, one of the less attractive ones (since
people who could actually use the food were forbidden from hunting).
However, I would say that the fact that this fault was not Kipling's
alone, but that of his culture, doesn't make it any less offensive.

> I base this judgement on known facts about the food
> provided by that school at that time (and the persistent rumour that one
> boy at least was sent home one holiday from the United Services College
> with scurvy -- but then, that happened to a friend of mine at Millfield in
> the late 1960s, so it may not be so extraordinary a public school
> experience)

I'm constantly surprised that more little boys don't get scurvy, so if the
food was poor that would make sense.

>and on comments in Kipling's memoir of the period ("Even by the
> standards of those days, it was primitive in its appointments, and our food
> would now raise a mutiny in Dartmoor."  "...private bargaining in our only
> currency -- food." [*Something of Myself*]).

Side note: every school story I'm familiar with shows the kids being a
little pre-occupied with food. I'm not sure why, it just seems to be one
of the common elements.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows, and
Henry knows we know it. *smiles* We're a knowledgable family." -- _Lion in
Winter_