HP review

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jul 4 11:14:19 EDT 2003

> 	Absolutely, and I think that holds true for propaganda of whatever
> stripe. And if a story is sufficently real and involving to catch the
> imagination then it is going to provide fuel for far more than one
> interpretation and it will thus stretch far beyond the author's
> intentions.  Case in point, Louisa May Alcott's works, many of which were
> intended by the author to be female empowerment propaganda, but are so
> full of life and charm and great stories that they are taken to the bosoms
> of all sorts of people, including some anti-feminists who read them as
> stories about submissive girls who are Respectful Of Authority. Good
> stories take on a life of their own...

And in the case of Lousia May Alcott, the whole business is infinitely
complicated because of the fact that she WAS trying to write about Good
Girls, she just was a 19th century feminist rather than a 20th century
one.

For those who have read the second half of 'Little Women' ('Good Wives')
and remember the extensive discussion of the trouble that the oldest girl
gets into when she has children and shuts her husband out of their care--
do you find it amusing in a terrible way to see modern couples go through
the same problems?

Feminist interpretations are often amusing in a terrible way... for
instance, I'm always amused by the women who find Heinlein to be a male
chauvenist, when he's actually a female chauvenist pig. (He's also
suffering from Scientist Cloudy Mind syndrome, but that's typical of
someone of his generation and upbringing; it's his politics that drive me
crazy...) The women in Heinlein are almost always more practical and more
aware of their surroundings than men of the same age. And there are a lot
more women in his books than in, say, Issac Asimov. [Tried to read
Foundation once, couldn't stand the men-only world.] Feminists seem to
base their cause on Heinlein's addiction to child-bearing and rearing and
fail to notice that everyone in his books, male or female, feel this way.
Five seconds in the Contemporary Authors volumes makes the answer clear--
Heinlein never had children himself, and it's pretty clear that wasn't by
choice...

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows, and
Henry knows we know it. *smiles* We're a knowledgable family." -- _Lion in
Winter_