HP review

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jul 4 06:09:29 EDT 2003

Anna:

>	And yes, it's a strong kind of fun, but I strongly believe that
>it's a good kind of fun to have. Once things like book burning become
>something we cannot joke about, my reading of history suggests to me that
>book burning becomes all the more likely.

Well, yes, except that the HP books already *are* being burned.
That's why I felt this was unfair.  If Liddle felt that Adams was
talking through his backside, fine, just ridicule him for his stupid
or unjustified argument.  But it is different to say 'you're making
what I feel are stupid criticisms about these books, therefore I'll
group you with the extremists who are calling for the books to be
banned/burned/censored'.   When those extremists are so frighteningly
much in evidence in society.

Hallie (who has burned a book, and joked about it, what's more.  :)
But only because it wasn't done *that* way.)