HP review

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jul 3 13:37:51 EDT 2003

> Or one can just read it as a _story_ which isn't trying to make any
> particular Point. I'm afraid I have little time for the modern critical
> schools which profess to find what turns out to be the critic's personal
> bugbear in every piece of writing he deigns to read.

As I've grown older I've come to the conclusion that Wind in Willows
reflects a childish world, and that the politics of the writer and the
people he grew up with reflect that world to some extent. The Stoats,
etc. of Wind in the Willows are the bullies of childhood and the 'criminal
element' the Edwardians feared, at the same time, because their
archetype comes from the same place.

Part of my thoughts on that come from reading and re-reading Stalky & Co
(Kipling) as well as Kipling's other coming of age stories, along with
commentary on such stories.

What shocks me the most is people putting social commentary on classic
elements of the fantasy school story that are in Harry Potter. It's the
combination of fantasy and school story that is pretty classic, and
Rowling has captured all the elements with great precision. [Did that make
sense? I just switched from contacts to glasses and can't see clearly, so
I can't think clearly either...]

Speaking of _Them_ have you ever come across the poem _We and They_ by
Kiping of all people?

I'll quote only the last verse:

"All good people agree,
And all good people say,
All nice people, like Us, are We
And every one else is They:
But if you cross over the sea,
Instead of over the way,
You may end by (think of it!) looking on We
As only a sort of They! "

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows, and
Henry knows we know it. *smiles* We're a knowledgable family." -- _Lion in
Winter_