HP review

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 15:30:59 EDT 2003

Charles quoted Susan Cooper:

 'Americans in general seem not to harbour the
sneaking admiration for the
eccentric that you will find in many parts of
Europe. Sometimes, indeed,
they will not even tolerate him. Admiration is
reserved for the man who in
all respects approximates pretty well to a
wholesome norm; who has nothing
_odd_ about him.'

I've read various reminiscences of people who
were bullyed in American schools which very much
bear this out. It always makes me glad to have
been at school in a culture where weird was an
available and even acceptable choice, albeit not
considered the best.

=====
Ven