Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 16:05:10 EST 2003

Kyla wrote:
>Although Aunt Prunella, if I recall correctly, is stick-thin.

It's Aunt Petunia, but yes, she is stick-thin, and it might as well be
Prunella. LOL!

Sticking in my two cents here. I am fascinated by discussions of DWJ, but to
be quite honest, bored silly by discussions of Harry Potter. However, this
is not to say I dislike the Harry Potter books, or do not respect them - the
opposite is truy. I simply don't think they bear this close scrutiny, it
takes all the fun out of them. In my opinion they are good fun, jolly good
yarns, imaginative and suspensful, and yes, superficial. I think it is not
fair to compare them to the works of DWJ, it's like comparing "Mad" magazine
and "The New Yorker". One of the wonderful things about DWJ is that the
closer her books are scrutinized, the more is revealed. The Harry Potter
books are simply not like that - they should be read as fast as possible,
not mulled upon. That's why I've never participated in a "Harry Potter"
list, though several exist, and heaven knows I know the books practically by
heart. They're just different, that's all - but wonderful and highly
enjoyable in their own way.