christian nutt ferricide at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 14:32:49 EST 2003

>(neville and professor sprout are the only hufflepuffs we have descriptions
>of, so we assume that all of them are like that  -- or assume that rowling
>is saying that all of them are like that.)

replying to yourself is a sign of insanity but i realized what a mistake i'd
made. neville is of course a gryffindor..

so i think the problem is that through rowling's lack of characterization of
characters outside of the main ones, she fails us in that we have to jump to
conclusions about the rest of the reality -- shored up by the vague offhand
side comments she makes about things like hufflepuffs.

christian.