Joe Joe.Nankivell at ucd.ie
Fri Jan 31 12:14:29 EST 2003

On 31 Jan 2003, at 0:47, deborah wrote:
>  But it's certainly not so easy.  "Sophie: Gryffindor.
> Lettie: Ravenclaw.  Michael: Hufflepuff.  Howl:  Slytherin"?

Howl doesn't fit on teams, does he? Unless you count the team of
himself and Calcifer, which is as damaging as it is beneficial to
both of them. And that's the real problem of 'houses' or other
coercive team systems, in children's fiction as in reality: people
don't fit. Especially people like the independent-minded, strong-
headed free radicals who populate DWJs works.

I wish I could go into more depth but I've got to hit the road instead.
But a thought's just ocurred to me that I can't resist sharing:
Mordion: Hufflepuff

By the way Ven, I'm taking your paragraph on HP and sticking it
inside the cover of whichever one it is I have - so if I find myself
about to reread it I'll just read that instead. Spot on.

bon weekend all,
Joe