feminism and fairy tales course syllabus

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 31 11:49:35 EST 2003

>Though I will admit part of my frustration stemmed from the fact that I
>was fighting an urge to monopolize all the discussions, when in fact all
>auditors had been politely requested not to participate in discussions as
>there were too many students enrolled in the class anyway....

This seems like the most bizarre request I have ever heard. In my classes,
I am usually dying for more than one student who is willing to talk. What
kind of arrogant assumptions were in place here? Unless there were a whole
lot of fully enrolled students who were of the opinion of a charming
colleague of mine who said "I rarely participated in class discussion as a
student, because it usually wasn't up to my intellectual level".

Robyn