Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Fri Jan 31 11:33:37 EST 2003

>One thing I didn't understand was--Harry gets *away* from the Dursleys,
>and then he goes *back*? Sheesh. They're abusive. I'm sure *someone*
>(Dumbledore, McGonagall, this would be you guys) could have gotten their
>guardianship negated or something. I always thought Harry should go live
>with the Weasleys and pay for his room and board, which would solve a
>number of problems all round.

But it would break the writer's implicit contract with the publisher and
fans, which is that the books should all be exactly alike in all but
minor details. Every book has to start off with Harry being persecuted
by the exaggeratedly nasty Dursleys, every book has to contain a
Quiddich match described in excessive detail in which Harry saves the
day, etc., etc.

And if you're wondering why somebody who so obviously doesn't care for
the books has read them -- well, I was in Florence last summer, and it
was 100 degrees in the shade, and our apartment didn't have air
conditioning, so I spent some hot afternoons lying on the nice cool tile
floor and reading. Somebody had left several of the Harry Potter books
on the bottom shelf of the bookcase. They were in English.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com